Sage MAS 90 was one of the first accounting packages offered in 80s and it continues to develop to provide Small Value Added Resellers and Certified Public Accountants to improve its market share. It shares a small portion of North American markets and its strong competitors are Epicor and QuickBooks because it provides localized solution for certain markets and its major advantage is low cost of implementation. It provides cost effective solution as compared to Microsoft, Oracle and SAP.
The accounting software of Sage is recommended by its clients (although it also had a few failures) and currently, there are more than 20 accounting software provided by Sage. The new version of the software integrates light manufacturing modules and web enabled features. The latest version of Sage accounting is provided by MAS 200 and it is more powerful as compared to MAS 90 because MAS 200 supports client server architecture and it can run in Windows.
The software works in file server environment and data is either stored in a server which provides file sharing or in computer through a network to provide file management or the data transfers through one computer to other through network.
Features of Sage MAS 90
1. Sage MAS 90 is designed in Business Basic Extended (BBX) and with the latest modifications and changes in requirements - many of its features are outdated. But basic accounting module of the software is strong and easy to use. Even cost-wise it is considered better than other software packages because it does not require expense on license.
2. It has been widely implemented in the North American companies and it provides cost effect support after implementation - which is a great pull. It provides reliability and is considered to be a stable software application.
3. Its core financial modules includes general ledger, accounts receivables, accounts payable, bank reconciliation, fixed assets etc. It enables easy calculation of taxes using 8000 jurisdiction across North America.
4. The web enabled feature of inventory can track records across various locations and help in increasing sales through credit card processing support which can provide 24/7 online payment supports. It provides total visibility across various functions.
5. Sage MAS 90 has been used by Whole distribution companies for wholesale management and it is known for strong accounts module.
For reporting the user gets fixed number of options in some modules but the new modifications allows the software to be integrated to crystal reports and get custom reports. Some modules have hard coded reports and these modules include Work Order Processing, Job Cost etc.
MAS 90 Drawbacks
1. The LAN based systems restricts the number of concurrent users and the number of users concurrently using the software should not exceed more than 5-10.
2. Sage MAS 90 has many outdated features, hardcoded reports and it uses old technology. Scalability and robustness is questioned and it is an aging product which is not suitable for global organizations because it uses fixed set of laws.
3. The database features are also limited such as the database can provide - open access, data typing, recoverability.
4. Sage MAS 90 is not suitable for global organizations having branches in various different parts of the world.